nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Question

  • From: Road's End Farm <organic87@frontiernet.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Question
  • Date: Wed, 10 Aug 2011 08:27:49 -0400

On Aug 10, 2011, at 12:50 AM, Ginda Fisher wrote:

Email is "push" and a forum is "pull". Email just shows up on my computer, and tells me it exists (you have 8 unread messages in your NAFEX folder) whereas I need to actively click on a link to even know if there's been any activity on the forum.

This is at least half of it, I think. Adding the nuisance of having to log on each time (again, my browser is set to clear all personal info on closing and I shut the computer down at night, so yes, I would need to log on at least once a day, even if it works for some other people to remain permanently logged in) and I am just much less likely to bother.

Some of the other half is that I find it much easier to respond by email: because I choose my email program, and it works the way I want and the way I'm used to. Message boards use different setups, and it's the board that chooses the setup, so I'm generally trying to work in a format that's in one way or another harder for me to use. In the course of composing one reply on a board I may run into several minor nuisances; they are usually all minor, but it adds up, and significantly reduces the chances that I'll bother.

And the rest is that I can set up my own email so that the email discussion is automatically saved on my computer unless/until I decide to delete it. In order to save a forum discussion locally, I have to actively copy and paste the information over. Yes, I know it's supposedly saved by the forum servers; but a) this doesn't work if I want to look something up while the internet connection's down, which happens from time to time and b) archives have been known to disappear or become inaccessible for various reasons; having the info saved both in the online archives and locally makes it less likely for it to be permanently lost.

I guess that by now we've just totally lost all the fruit explorers who for one reason or another aren't online at all?