nafex - Re: [NAFEX] evans-bali cherry

  • From: Steve <sdw12986@aol.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] evans-bali cherry
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 00:39:31 -0400

When I bought the Bali Cherry from Bill Mackentley (St Lawrence Nurseries) I didn't know that it was the same as Evans. I found that out years later. I did know back then that he imported the cultivar from an original source in Canada. He named it after his younger daughter. (He named a pear after his older daughter, Nova.)
Personally, I don't think he should have renamed it if it was already being called Evans. Maybe no one else was selling it on the US side of the border back then and he was trying to coin a new name for it here. That's just a guess, I don't know.

Steve