nafex - Re: [NAFEX] evans-bali cherry

  • From: "Ginda Fisher" <list@ginda.us>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] evans-bali cherry
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 09:42:45 -0400

I don't think so, as Bali is sold bt St. Lawrence Nursery, which says they
are own-rooted tissue-culture propagated plants.

I believe the owner of St. Lawrence decided to sell 'Evans' as 'Bali' in
honor of his daughter or something along those lines. (that being her name.)

I have no direct experience with either evans or bali, having only seen them
in catalogs, but I'm pretty sure they are identical, except that Evans can be
found both own-rooted and grafted, whereas 'Bali' is basically a brand name
and is always own-rooted.

Me, I planted a little carmine jewel this spring. I don't know why I
bothered, as the critters have eaten all of my fruit this year. I guess hope
springs eternal.

-- GindaOn Jul 25, 2011 9:36 AM, Ernest Plutko