nafex - Re: [NAFEX] evans/bali cherry

  • From: Hélène Dessureault <interverbis@videotron.ca>
  • To: Sarah Kehler Ewing <skkewing@yahoo.com>, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] evans/bali cherry
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jul 2011 17:48:00 -0400

If a side branch is affected, I cut it. If it is the main trunk, I treat it with Bordeaux mixture, a sulphur based fongicide.
I may be wrong but I am under the impression that suckers are more resistant than the original tree...
The fertility of the soil has a lot to do with disease susceptibility. I find that a cherry tree growing in poor sandy acidic soil is more likely to get gummosis than a cherry tree growing in better balanced soil full of nutrients...
Maybe someone can tell us what is the ideal soil for Evans cherry?

Hélène, zone 3-4
----- Original Message ----- From: "Sarah Kehler Ewing" <skkewing@yahoo.com>