nafex - Re: [NAFEX] How hardy is Carmine Jewel?

  • From: Caren Kirk <quirky@videotron.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] How hardy is Carmine Jewel?
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 15:41:46 -0400

Ernest, I second Sarah's comments about the U of S cherries' hardiness. I've had my Carmine Jewel for about 5 years now and a Romeo and Crimson Passion for about 3 and despite having very different and varied weather conditions throughout those years and seasons, I've never had any hardiness problems with them.

Sarah mentioned poor soils but they are planted in amended clay in my yard and they seem fine. I don't fertilize them though.

The only issue I have had with them happened this year. My first taste of brown rot. Lost about a third of my crop to it because I was too dumb to work out what it was until a bit too late. It was my first experience with it. Still, now I know. And I still had enough cherries to make some fantastic pies!

Sorry about your plants, better luck with those that are left.

Caren Kirk
St. Jerome, QC