nafex - Re: [NAFEX] How hardy is Carmine Jewel/Evans cherry?

  • From: Sarah Kehler Ewing <skkewing@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] How hardy is Carmine Jewel/Evans cherry?
  • Date: Sun, 24 Jul 2011 17:23:47 -0700 (PDT)

If they were in full green growth right to the roots I could see that
happening, but I haven't seen any die back (except for the ones the mice
ate!) on my U of S cherries at all in spite  of all the weird weather we have
had these last few years.  This year we had no frost from the beginning of
April to the third week of May (when we normally have steady frosts) and then
we had two hard (5 or more degrees of frost) frosts a week apart... no dead
cherry trees or even dead leaves and they all still have fruit on them.  Last
year was pretty much the same story with warm weather and then frosts, except
add snow in with the frost and have it last for a week.

A general rule for all Canadian prairie hardy cherries (Evans and all of the
U of S cherries) is that they do better on poor soil without fertilizer so
they don't grow as much and have more time to harden off before winter hits.
But I have fertilized all my trees with barn cleanings for the past 2 years
and they are doing fine... except for the Evan's cherry tree up close to my
house.  It keeps forgetting to leaf out in spring although it can be
persuaded to with heavy applications of sulfur (which it isn't supposed to
need) and copper.

Sarah
zone 3
Edmonton, AB