nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Peach bark damage

  • From: Caren Kirk <quirky@videotron.ca>
  • To: orders@cuttsreviews.com, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Peach bark damage
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jul 2011 15:31:32 -0400

Jay,

I had an ornamental cherry that did well for many years until the year before last when we started to have a severe ant problem. There seemed to be damage to the bark on the trunk along one side, as you describe (about 3 inches, bark dry and crumbling). A deer is now a very rare around here in my surburban neighbourhood ( and I have never ever seen a buck, only a rare glimpse of a doe passing through and that was about 7 years ago), so I'm 100% sure it wasn't antler damage. The tree had a severe problem with ants (and ant-protected aphids). It was very strange, the ants seemed to try an enter the trunk at this damaged part.

In the end the tree continued to deteriorate despite me trying to prune of sections which seemed to be suffering the most, and despite trying to control the aphids and the ants. In the end we had to cut the whole thing off at the base. Luckily it was a cherry that suckered profusely so we just chose the best looking sucker and encouraged it to grow to replace the old tree.

The sucker is now about 6 feet. Needless to say we are very vigilant about monitoring the ant situation these days.

Good luck with your peach, I would seriously try and get the ants under control if you want to give it a chance.

Caren Kirk
St. Jerome, QC