nafex - Re: [NAFEX] How hardy is Carmine Jewel?

  • From: Leslie Moyer <unschooler@lrec.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] How hardy is Carmine Jewel?
  • Date: Fri, 29 Jul 2011 23:38:28 -0500

I planted my first Carmine Jewel last fall in NE Oklahoma, zone 6b/7a. We
had a super-cold winter here with temps down to 25 below zero. We had a very
late freeze in May. We had a dry early spring, followed by a wet late spring
and then an extended drought for all of July with almost a month of temps
over 100 degrees. (It has been a CRAZY weather year--we had one day this
spring where the temperature swing fluctuated 100 degrees in 24 hours!)
Anyway--my Carmine Jewel is getting along just fine with NO supplemental
water. The water hydrant closest to it has been broken (water pump failure)
until a few days ago so I haven't been able to water there. It didn't flower
this year, so I don't know yet if it will produce a crop this far south (I
haven't seen a southern zone for it yet--has anyone?), but I have no doubt,
after this summer weather, that it will LIVE in the south just fine. It's
planted near my Nankings and my Hansens....my Hansens are doing fine, too,
but my Nankings are looking a little thirsty.

Leslie Moyer
unschooler@lrec.org
www.ShadyGroveNaturalFarm.com