nafex - [NAFEX] Peach bark damage

  • From: Jay Cutts <orders@cuttsreviews.com>
  • To: rewagner@centurytel.net, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Peach bark damage
  • Date: Mon, 25 Jul 2011 17:34:08 -0600

Folks,

Our peach tree has some damage on the top surface of one of its lateral branches. It's about a 3 inch section where the bark is gone. It almost looks like it has crumbled away (sun damage?) I don't see any insect holes. There are lots of ants on the tree. This is a tree that has experienced a lot of decline in the last few years, though it's only maybe 10 or 12 years old. A lot of the top has died and I've pruned it back.

A couple years ago there was some serious damage to the bark on one side of the trunk - about a 10 inch section where the bark was destroyed. Right now there is also a small patch of new damage on the trunk, maybe a 2 inch section where the bark is gone.

Any ideas what's happening? Thanks.

Regards,

Jay

Jay Cutts
Director, Cutts Graduate Reviews
Lead Author, Barron's Test Prep Publications
(800) 353-4898
In New Mexico, (505) 281-0684
10 am to 10 pm Mountain Time, 7 days