nafex - Re: [NAFEX] [Bulk] Protecting Apples

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] [Bulk] Protecting Apples
  • Date: Wed, 1 Jun 2011 20:52:43 -0400

If you use cotton drawstring parts bags you will slow them down quite a bit.
Bag the fruit, pull the string tight and then do a bow knot around the limb
to keep it tied to the tree. If you don't tie the bag to the tree the
squirrel will pull it all off and take it back home for a lengthy chew. They
will probably chew through some bags on the tree but my squirrels get
frustrated at that game and search for easier food.

I now use Kania traps on my squirrels. They are lethal in ten seconds for
Mr. Squirrel, and have been very reliable.

Scott