nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Betsy and Mulberry wine.

  • From: mIEKAL aND <qazingulaza@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Betsy and Mulberry wine.
  • Date: Wed, 25 May 2011 21:52:06 -0500

All good advice Murph but I would also recommend for small scale vintners to
get a Finnish steam juicer, & make wine with juice rather than putting it in
a bag & floating it in the primary. Body & character are vastly improved &
since the steam juicer semi-sterilizes the fruit I typically use 1/5 to 1/8
of the SO2 needed to keep a batch from turning.

I just put in a row of Illinois Everbearing to see if I could convince the
birds to let me pick enough fruit to make wine. I'm right on the edge of
hardiness for I.E. so it will be interesting to see if I can keep them
alive.

~mIEKAL