nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Quebec Belle, Sandow, and Newtosh Apples - Has anyone tried them?

  • From: Claude Jolicoeur <cjoli@gmc.ulaval.ca>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Quebec Belle, Sandow, and Newtosh Apples - Has anyone tried them?
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 23:04:07 -0500

A 09:38 10.01.22 -0500, vous avez écrit :
>Thanks for the info Claude. Sandow sounds like a good one and if I am
>not mistaken is new to the St. Lawrence nursery catalog this year. Do
>the flavor or texture remind you of any other apples you've tried?

Not really, flavour of Sandow is quite different from other apples I have
had. Some people say it has some similarities with N.Spy, but I can't judge
on this as the Spy can't be grown here and I haven't had the occasion to
eat it often. Sandow is surely hardier and ripens a bit earlier than Spy,
and this is what makes it possible to grow it here...
It does have a few defaults, however - the tree is a bit difficult to
maintain in a good shape, and it drops some fruit before it's time to
harvest. I have read it is sensitive to Fire Blight, but as I don't have
this desease here, it is not a problem for me.

Claude

Claude