nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Quebec Belle, Sandow, and Newtosh Apples - Has anyone tried them?

  • From: Sherlock Terry <sherlocksmith@gmail.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Quebec Belle, Sandow, and Newtosh Apples - Has anyone tried them?
  • Date: Fri, 22 Jan 2010 09:38:43 -0500

Thanks for the info Claude. Sandow sounds like a good one and if I am
not mistaken is new to the St. Lawrence nursery catalog this year. Do
the flavor or texture remind you of any other apples you've tried?

Also, I should have posted the Apple Journal descriptions from the
start, but here they are.

Quebec Belle:
Resembles Delicious in appearance and Northern Spy in quality. Keeps well.

Sandow:
Quality very high; aromatic, juicy, crisp.

Newtosh:
Tree produces a high percentage of extra-fancy fruits. Skin similar to
McIntosh; flesh like Yellow Newtown, the latter given a "best" rating
in Beach's Apples of New York.

For comparison, here is the Spy description:
large, roundish fruit; clean, white flesh, fine-grained, tender, crisp
and juicy; spicy, aromatic flavor; good keeper; excellent cooker

and Newtown Pippin:
large-sized; yellowish flesh is firm, crisp, and very aromatic; good
keeper; there is also a Yellow Newtown strain, popular in the south

-Sherlock