nafex - Re: [NAFEX] crataegus anyone?

  • From: <jelie@new.rr.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] crataegus anyone?
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 19:13:06 +0000

Hey Michelle,

I've grown a few haws and have never noticed whether they have had any
fireblight, rust is such a problem here. I have never grown the azarole but
do have a c. pinnatifida from Hidden Springs. The wild haws in my area have
quite a problem with rust and I was hoping pinnatifida would be a bit more
disease resistant. A Russian haw from Oikos seems to be the most disease
resistant after only one year. There has been no disease on it that I have
noticed. In the same group of plants, my medlar seemed relatively untouched
by disease in our area. My VanDeman Quince had been pretty free from disease
as well. The first five years it was fairly unscathed but rust was more of a
problem with our cooler summer this past year.

Jim Elie
Green Bay WI
zone 4/5