nafex - Re: [NAFEX] crataegus anyone?

  • From: dwoodard@becon.org
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] crataegus anyone?
  • Date: Sun, 3 Jan 2010 13:39:25 -0500 (EST)

If you can't think of anything else, I've heard of spicebush (Lindera
benzoin) fruit being used by a gourmet chef in a relish. Wind shelter and
something less than full sun might be desirable. It prefers damp soil and
I've seen it growing on heavy clay with standing water in the fall, also
on a slope in sandy soil.

The fruit has about 35% fat from what I read. It is said to be very
popular with fall migrating birds.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada