nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Gooseberries for TN?

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Gooseberries for TN?
  • Date: Mon, 05 Oct 2009 14:52:26 -0400

Donna, I would be a little cautious about too much shade for *all* your gooseberries even in Tennessee. I think a northern to eastern edge might suit, if possible with mulch over the roots. I do believe in sun for fruit.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Kieran &/or Donna wrote:
Bill,
I don't have to go out and plant sweet cherries to keep the birds away from gooseberries, they are already there. In fact, I was planning on planting the gooseberries under them. Sounds like the only problem will be the bird poop on the gooseberries. I'd wanted for years to plant the little soft squishy Russian style mulberries near the cherries to protect them from birds, but the cherry trees are about too big to reach anymore, and the NW slope they are on seems to ensure they freeze out most springs. So looks like I'm doing it at all wrong, but at least they should enable me to grow gooseberries without too much bird predation. Jap beetles are too busy out in the sunshine on the roses and smartweed to go looking for gooseberries in the shade.

[snip]