nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pluots in Nebraska

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pluots in Nebraska
  • Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 15:58:34 -0500

Here is a brief report on my plum tastings for this year.

Interesting, Scott.

This was my first year for fruit on several of my plum trees, and I was very disappointed in how small my Toka plums turned out to be. But then I tasted them, and they were easily the best tasting plum I had (compared to the much bigger Alderman, Superior, and Waneta).

Superior got too much rain when ripening so it was not a fair year for them.

My Superior plums were better last year, too. But I'm just amazed at how many large plums I get off my tiny little tree. It produced a ton of plums last year, too, just a year after I planted it. My other plums are a year older, but they didn't produce until this year.

It was very dry here early in the year, and then amazingly cool in July and August - altogether a weird year.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
We may be through with the past, but the past is not through with us. Ideas of the Stone Age exist side by side with the latest scientific thought. Only a fraction of mankind has emerged from the Dark Ages, and in the most lucid brains, as Logan Pearsall Smith has said, we come upon "nests of woolly caterpillars." - Bergen Evans