nafex - [NAFEX] skin thickness in pears

  • From: Lisa Almarode <lisaalmarode@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] skin thickness in pears
  • Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 18:46:18 -0700 (PDT)

The bartlett pears from the neglected tree at our old place were sublime.
(I've never had a transcendent experience like that with any apple). As
much as I don't want to love such a common variety and am sure there are
pear varieties that are better than bartlett, I'm afraid to plant
something I don't like as much.

One thing I noticed was that the skins were so thin that I could eat the
meltingly ripe flesh without having to peel it. In general I'm well on
the fussy side about thicker skins and peel a lot. Skin thickness isn't
mentioned much in catalogs... are there other thin-skinned pears, or are
most non-russetted pear skins thin?

Lisa in Oregon