nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pluots in Nebraska

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pluots in Nebraska
  • Date: Tue, 29 Sep 2009 16:10:32 -0500

Bill, it might be worthwhile to thin your Flavor Grenade considerably more
next year and then see if it appears to ripen. Crop load can make a
difference.

Thanks, Doug. (It was also a LOT cooler than normal here this year. Some things didn't want to ripen as well because of that, I believe.)

In fact, I deliberately left too much fruit on everything this year, as an experiment. I'm having a hard time keeping most of my plantings as small as I want them, so I wondered if letting them fruit a bunch would slow them down.

I think that worked, to some extent, but I don't know if I'll do it again. In some cases (but by no means all), the fruit stayed a bit too small. Well, I expected that, and it's not a big deal for me. But I really had a hard time holding up branches that were too heavy with fruit. And I wonder if I'd have less trouble with disease if they were thinned better. (Again, the cool summer probably didn't help.)

But in many cases, I just ended up with far more fruit than I could possibly use. I gave fruit away to everyone I knew - and even neighbors I didn't know - and I still had too much of it (the Concord grapes, particularly). My refrigerator freezer is so full that I can't get ANYTHING else inside. I've repacked it several times, just to try to make a little more room. It's kind of ridiculous.

So next year, I'm going to try to concentrate on quality, rather than quantity.

:-)

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
I think it's important to realize that I was actually black before the election... Whenever a president tries to bring about significant changes, particularly around times of economic unease, there's a certain segment of the population that gets riled up. It's not atypical. One of the things you sign up for in politics is, folks yell at you. - President Barack Obama