nafex - [NAFEX] Pluots in Nebraska

  • From: Scott Smith <scott@cs.jhu.edu>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] Pluots in Nebraska
  • Date: Mon, 28 Sep 2009 21:39:00 -0400

Thanks for the report, Bill. I was thinking of getting a Flavor Grenade since I had heard about how the fruit set was much better than the others, but I think I will hold off for the time being. I already have many great plums so the bar is pretty high for me. I concur with your Flavor Supreme experience, it is one of my favorites for taste (and one of the most frustrating for fruit set).

Here is a brief report on my plum tastings for this year. Great: Santa Rosa, Satsuma, Flavor Supreme. Very good: Red Heart. Good: Shiro, Superior, Wickson. Decent: Spring Satin. OK: La Crescent. The Spring Satin is worthwhile due to its earliness, any plum in spring is wonderful. Wickson only had a few fruits and none ripened properly so I expect that one should rate higher in future years. Superior got too much rain when ripening so it was not a fair year for them. Satsuma needs to hang a long time; the temptation is to pick them when they look nice and red but they may be several weeks from fully ripe then.

Scott
z7 MD