nafex - Re: [NAFEX] mulberries

  • From: Sheridan Shumway <rattler_mt@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] mulberries
  • Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 07:18:29 -0700 (PDT)

Bill,

if i remember correctly the leaves froze on my trees aswell.....i never know
when we are going to get our first real frost, sometimes it occurs the end of
September, sometimes the end of October.....our last frost is anywhere from
the end of April to the end of May.....my other major headache with growing
fruit here is sometimes we have a darn short season.....i always have
raspberries freeze on the plants every year on the later bearing varieties....

every fruit i plant short of Saskatoons, buffalo berries and chokecherries
that are native here becomes an experiment, not only to see if the bushes and
trees will fruit but whether they will actually ripen in the time i have....

i sure would like to know what other mulberries might fruit here regularly,
especially any white berry varieties.......

Sheridan S.
northeast Montana
zone 3 or 4