nafex - Re: [NAFEX] white currants

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] white currants
  • Date: Sat, 30 May 2009 08:53:06 -0500

Then I heat gently, stirring a little and mashing them a bit with the back of
a plastic cooking spoon until the currants are sort of white and
muddy-looking, and collapse.

Thanks, Ginda. I worried about cooking them to remove the juice, because my mom told me that the sauce she tried to make turned out horribly - completely inedible. So I wondered if the juice had to be removed from the seeds without, or before, cooking. (I think she was using either red or pink currents, if that makes a difference.)

Then again, she did make a pie with them, and that was... OK. It wasn't particularly good, but it didn't seem like cooking the seeds was a problem there.

Thanks again,

Bill
Lincoln, NE (zone 5)

--
In science, 'fact' can only mean 'confirmed to such a degree that it would be perverse to withhold provisional assent.' I suppose that apples might start to rise tomorrow, but the possibility does not merit equal time in physics classrooms. - Stephen Jay Gould