nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Evans or Bali cherry

  • From: "Brungardt, Sam" <Sam.Brungardt@state.mn.us>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Evans or Bali cherry
  • Date: Tue, 31 Mar 2009 10:43:22 -0500

How tall Evans (aka Bali) trees will grow really depends on the location. I
planted an own-root Evans in the neighbor's hard, near my compost pile maybe
about 7 years ago and it is now at least 15 ft. tall. I don't consider that
dwarf for a tart cherry. I've started to cut back the tallest limbs to a
horizontal side branch. It is very productive; has never failed to produce a
crop for about the past 5 years, although size of the crop will vary.

Sam Brungardt, St. Paul, Minn. (USDA hardiness zone 4b)