nafex - Re: [NAFEX] War on Skunks

  • From: "Erdman, James" <ErdmanJ@uwstout.edu>
  • To: "nottke1" <nottke1@earthlink.net>, "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] War on Skunks
  • Date: Tue, 1 Jul 2008 07:52:24 -0500

I have lost a lot of chickens over the years to skunks, but possums top
the list in chicken predators for me. Possums first, then skunks, then
unknown birds of prey, but I haven't lost any to fox or coyotes. Skunks
and possums will gnaw and dig their way into a chicken coop at night and
kill nesting chickens--I have caught them in the act, so I am sure that
they are the guilty parties. I prefer to tighten up the coop instead of
killing them, but they can cause lots of loss in the chicken yard.

Jim Erdman, in Menomonie, WI