nafex - Re: [NAFEX] goshdarn leaf hoppers

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] goshdarn leaf hoppers
  • Date: Sat, 28 Jun 2008 00:02:54 -0700

How many trees?  For a few trees, you can use yellow sticky traps at a rate of one per 25-50 square feet.  That’s the general recommendation, which may have veg more in mind than fruit trees.  I would think that more vertical space means more traps.  For large plantings, there’s a sticky yellow tape called Hopperfinder.  Or you can order one pack of the sticky traps, take one to the paint store to match the color, get some tanglefoot and make your own traps.   There are organic sprays, both as effective and as time-consuming as the Sevin.  Trapping out is definitely the lazy, and for me therefore preferable, approach.

As for the tarnished plant bugs, I don’t think Peristenus wasps are available yet; I think they’re still being studied as an effective control.  That’s the only parasite I know of for the beasties.

~ Stephen