nafex - [NAFEX] glysphosphate research

  • From: "Alan Haigh" <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] glysphosphate research
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 10:58:58 -0400

I already stated that this subject has taken up more space than I'd like but my pride draws me back to the fray after my old buddy Mangoedance's take on my comment.  I was not responding to the details of the experiment, just the direct quotes from the experimenter.  Calling the results "shocking" seems to be a rather unscientific assessment perhaps designed for attention more than clarity.

I doubt the writer fabricated the part about pouring the glysphosphate directly into the tank either.  As a layman it seems curious that this would be the methodology.  I would be more interested in the affects of runoff into streams and estuaries from plants and soil sprayed because I see no reason a fruit grower would use Roundup in any other way. I did my research on Roundup years ago when I was doing some native meadow installations which is the only thing I've used this product for to any extent.  The research led me to a confidence that Roundup pretty much stays put.

I believe that there is a formula of glysphosphate for aquatic weeds but I don't know if it has the same toxic adjuvent.  If it does, I take my comments back- the results of the experiment would then indeed be shocking.