nafex - Re: [NAFEX] goshdarn leaf hoppers

  • From: mangodance <bmn@iglou.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] goshdarn leaf hoppers
  • Date: Fri, 27 Jun 2008 08:55:43 -0400

Alan Haigh wrote:

Every season just as my apple grafts begin to emerge they are pounced upon by leaf hoppers, those tiny chlorophyll vampires that seem devoid of natural predators here. They are my main cause of graft failure. Lady bugs usually eventually control the aphids but weekly applications of Sevin have been my only solution for hoppers. Does anyone out there have another idea? Something requiring less work.

I've used a lot of garlic powder (and fresh mixed in depending on time of year) with a little bit of Dr. Bronners peppermint soup (liquid...I buy it in gallon containers) on a rather broad spectrum of pests. I mix it up, let it sit in the sun for an hour or two, strain it, and spray. I bought up several cases of garlic powder at a local salvage store for cheap but before that I bought it from some of the ultra cheap stores.

The problem with the above is that you must reapply after a heavy rain.