nafex - [NAFEX] scab resistance

  • From: "Alan Haigh" <alandhaigh@gmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: [NAFEX] scab resistance
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 07:10:05 -0400

I have a sheet on my board of Tom Burfords list of varieties of apples he has found resistant to Scab, Cedar Apple Rust, and Fireblight- each represesnting a seperate category.  A relatively high percentage of his selections for scab resistance are Russets including A. Kernel.  I have no idea about the validity of his list except that he has many decades of evaluation to draw from.  This experience was derived primarily in Virginia.

Here in southeastern NY I've been able to completely control scab with 2 applications of Nova and Captan which I tank mix with the insecticide I use on my petal fall and 10-14 day later application.  I will occassionally get a few spots of CAR that established before the first spray but that's it. This can be avoided by a prior application of Nova in the delayed dormant oil spray.   Because of the success of this program I haven't learned much about relative resistance.

I believe you can find Burfords list if you google his name on the internet.

  • [NAFEX] scab resistance, Alan Haigh, 05/31/2008