nafex - Re: [NAFEX] red elderberry

  • From: hans brinkmann <hans-brinkmann@t-online.de>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] red elderberry
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 10:24:02 +0200

Hallo Ernest,

you are really very tough...
I think the taste has been horrible and of course Stephan is very right:
All green and unripe parts are containing poison (Sambunigrin) - not to be eaten by animals.
Not so the ripe fruits - to be eaten from animals...
The seeds are poisonous (many, many other seeds from used fruits or vegetables are poisonous too!)
but usually undigested by birds or removed by humans.
Or everything is cooked or boiled or used as e.g. sweet BAKED elderberry flowers...
Since many thousands years, elderberries are eaten by humans.
Industrial production of Elderberries is very important and expending at EU and probably at Canada and USA too.
Your D. Adams and L. Burbank made already nice selections in 1920.

ciao
hans

Stephen Sadler schrieb:
All parts of the plant are poisonous. The seeds may be more toxic than the
fruit. The fruit has been eaten historically, with the seeds removed. I
don't know if people have different sensitivity to it.

~ Stephen