nafex - Re: [NAFEX] How much should I thin fruit/flowers from a young Asianpersimmon?

  • From: Anton Callaway <marillen@earthlink.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] How much should I thin fruit/flowers from a young Asianpersimmon?
  • Date: Sat, 31 May 2008 09:25:08 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

Without seeing the tree, I couldn't say for sure. But I would not thin Asian
persimmons too much, too soon. In my experience, many of the young fruit
drop, particularly when there isn't another persimmon nearby to pollinate.
On the other hand, with pollination and good environmental conditions, you
will get too much fruit set. This uncertainty leads me to wait to thin Asian
persimmons until they are about an inch in diameter. When you do thin, leave
a minimum of 4-5 inches between fruits. Thin harder if the tree is not
vigorous or has anything else that reduces leaf area.

Anton
North Carolina, Zone 8