nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Apple Scab

  • From: Douglas Woodard <dwoodard@becon.org>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Apple Scab
  • Date: Fri, 30 May 2008 22:35:19 -0400

I don't think that russets are particularly susceptible to scab.

Reports say that in the coastal Pacific Northwest of the U.S., Royal Russet/Brown Russet has considerable resistance to the strains of scab present there.

Reports also say that Golden Russet is less susceptible to scab than many, and my limted observation of an old tree some years ago backed that up.

Doug Woodard
St. Catharines, Ontario, Canada

Doreen Howard wrote:

[snip]

Are russets genetically prone to the disease or is this coincidence? BTW, after spending 15 years as a newspaper reporter and editor, I've learned that nothing is ever a coincidence.
Doreen Howard
IL-WI Border, Zone 4b