nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Winter Hardy Tropicals

  • From: Claude Sweet <hortventures@cox.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Winter Hardy Tropicals
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 16:24:55 -0800

I would like to see the definitions people are using to describe tropical, subtropical and temperate fruiting plants.

Asimia triloba is native to the Eastern half of the United States, from the Gulf Coastal plain to the Great Lakes.  In my opinion, this is not a tropical plant and has a winter chilling requirement of several hundred hours.

Edible bananas are tropical, but the winter hardy species are not, in my opinion, edible and distinctly different enough to be classified as hardy subtropical, but definitely not a temperate fruit.

The edible passion fruit is a frost sensitive subtropical vine with many flowering species tending to be tropical. The Maypop is more of a warm zone temperate fruit of marginal value.

Claude Sweet
San Diego, CA

Stephen Sadler wrote:
I thought, too, of Pawpaws, as well as Maypop, to add to this list.