nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Winter Hardy Tropicals

  • From: Lucky Pittman <lucky.pittman@murraystate.edu>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Winter Hardy Tropicals
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 16:25:22 -0600

At 03:53 PM 2/26/2007, you wrote:
3) Oranges - Ponicirus trifoliata is listed as having fruit that is
inedible (bitter, I assume) or lemon-like. What are people's experiences
out there? Is it worth growing as a lemon substitute? Does the fruit
mature in sone 5? Does anyone have experience with any of the other
winter-hardy hybrids out there?

I'll leave the definitive responses to Donna Hudson and others regarding the species and hybrids, but here's my minimal experience with it.
P.trifoliata is fully winter hardy in zone 6 - and probably into zone 5. I know a guy who had it growing and fruiting in Cincinnati, OH.
So far as edibility is concerned - the rind contains a really nasty oily/gummy substance that limits usefulness of the fruit. Pulp is minimal - fruits contain large numbers of seeds - and what pulp there is, is very sour.

Lucky Pittman
USDA Cold Zone 6
AHS Heat Zone 7
Hopkinsville, KY