nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Winter Hardy Tropicals

  • From: BekeeprTop@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Winter Hardy Tropicals
  • Date: Mon, 26 Feb 2007 17:18:53 EST

Geoffrey,
First of all, you're missing PawPaw, which is a tropical plant in every
respect. Except it is rock hardy and matures its mango-like fruits in all
sorts of
zone 5 climates. Why not grow it, that really does grow tropical fruits in
z5?

The NAFEX person to ask about bamboo is Rick Valley of Oregon.

I've seen a banana growing in Arlington, MA, contact me if you want the
grower's phone # or email.

I believe the owner of Oregon Exotics told me Ponicirus trifoliata is the
ONLY citrus of any description that is truly deciduous -meaning its smart
enough
to drop its leaves when fall comes - can anyone contradict that? Grapefruit
are 69 cents this week at my grocery store. The best houseplant I ever had
was
a calamondin orange, I bartered for it when it was 10 yrs old, and then I
owned it for another approx. 15 years before it died. It required 2 qts of
water
every day or a gallon every day. It had a windowsill of its own with best
sun exposure but bloomed and bore its heart out, and I sometimes feel like
getting another. It was far better than any lemon for flavoring, like as a
topping on broccoli.

Let us know what you find out about bamboo and fruits from banana and palm
Charlie Paradise