nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Honeycrisp

  • From: "William C. Garthright" <billg@inebraska.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Honeycrisp
  • Date: Mon, 01 Jan 2007 15:27:25 -0600

Honeycrisp also stopped me in my tracks at the store, Spidra. Beautiful ! I agree 100%. Who knows where they were from?
They were shockers. Then, on a couple of occasions, I've seen a couple of bins of what I thought were big ugly-duckling Mac culls, that turned out to be Honeycrisps. Really strange. It may have to do with trace minerals in the soil, or something like that according to a Cornell paper I was reading.

I heard that Honeycrisp likes cool nights, that it might not color up well or have the best texture in a hotter summer area. Could that be the difference? I went ahead and planted one this spring, but our summers are hot and humid, and it often stays quite warm all night.

Bill
Lincoln, NE (Zone 5)

--
When I do good, I feel good; when I do bad, I feel bad, and that is my religion. - Abraham Lincoln