nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Honeycrisp

  • From: "Doreen Howard" <gardendiva@charter.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Honeycrisp
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 11:15:51 -0600

Richard Murphy wrote:
Thanks for the callback. I will try a couple Pixies, in spite of the zone 5 rating they usually get; sometimes this is conservative....it happens

Don't worry about the Zone 5 rating.  Where I live, along the Wisconsin-Illinois border, the area is rate Zone 4b.  We had -20F nights last winter, and the tree produced prodigiously this summer.  From observance, I think that the spring temperatures and the way the season warms up has more effect than the frigid lows of winter nights.
Doreen Howard