nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Cooking with (colorless) honey

  • From: Lisa Almarode <lisaalmarode@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Cooking with (colorless) honey
  • Date: Mon, 1 Jan 2007 09:50:42 -0800 (PST)

Interesting that the nectar source matters in crystalization - my last
year's honey was light colored and didn't crystalize, this years is
darker and has crystalized already.

We used (light) honey and pomona's pectin to make a strawberry jam
last year. It was fine; not too sweet, a nice hint of honey flavor,
lovely color. (I don't especially like the texture of pomona's pectin
jams, they are a little pasty). But over the winter it lost all the
red color and turned an unappetizing grey-brown. The regular pectin
and sugar strawberry jam (we make lots of that) keeps its red color
just fine; it's a lot sweeter since you have to use all the sugar.

> My FIL's favorite honey is buckwheat honey because of it's strong
> flavor and it's tendency to crystallize.
> I agree completely. Honey is very nice, but it has such a strong
> flavor that I would think it would overwhelm the fruit in a jam. And
> it's "softer' than sugar, so I'd guess your jam would need to be a
> lot sweeter to jell, unless you are using agar or the like.

Happy New Year everyone!

Lisa in Ashland Oregon
USDA Z7 - Sunset Z7 - 1800' - 19" annual rainfall