nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Sea Buckthorn (Hippophae rhamnoides L.)

  • From: Ginda Fisher <list@ginda.us>
  • To: Ken <heronheart@gmail.com>, North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Sea Buckthorn (Hippophae rhamnoides L.)
  • Date: Sun, 5 Mar 2006 22:30:06 -0500

On Mar 4, 2006, at 10:15 AM, Ken wrote:

Hello mIEKAL,

On Saturday, March 4, 2006, 8:16:21 AM, you wrote:

One recommendation I would make is to get a couple grafted plants
going first, as my 7 year old seedling have still not matured enough
to fruit. It's a dioecious plant so get enough plants to make sure
yr pollination is covered.

Anything with the word "buckthorn" in it makes me nervous. Is Sea
Buckthorn invasive the way Alder Buckthorn is?

I've never grown it, but a few years ago it came up, and at least a few people found it invasive, especially folks who lived in a climate it liked. I think that's dry, but I wouldn't swear to it. If no one pipes up I'll go search the archives and see what I can find on the topic.

Ginda