nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Sea Buckthorn (Hippophae rhamnoides L.)

  • From: mIEKAL aND <dtv@mwt.net>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Sea Buckthorn (Hippophae rhamnoides L.)
  • Date: Sat, 4 Mar 2006 08:16:21 -0600

When we were in Romania we tried as many Sea Buckthorn products (over there it's called Katina) we could find. It's most popular use is medicinal but I did try a couple jellies made with it. The flavor is pretty unique, not what you would expect from yellow fruit but maybe what you would expect from the buckthorn family. The jellies I tried had too much sugar in to really have a sense of the flavor. It's very common also to find big piles of the branches with fruit on in the markets since it is not all that easy to harvest. Another use of course is as juice, with sweetner added. It's touted as being one of the highest in vit C for northern hemisphere fruits.

~mIEKAL

One recommendation I would make is to get a couple grafted plants going first, as my 7 year old seedling have still not matured enough to fruit. It's a dioecious plant so get enough plants to make sure yr pollination is covered.