nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Sea Buckthorn (Hippophae rhamnoides L.)

  • From: "Dean Kreutzer" <deankreutzer@hotmail.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Sea Buckthorn (Hippophae rhamnoides L.)
  • Date: Sat, 04 Mar 2006 08:36:29 -0600

Hello all,

I have tried two juices from Sea Buckthorn, one from the eastern part of Germany, and one from Russia. One was not very good, the other I went for a second glass; I wouldn't say it was excellent, but was not bad, definately very unique.

From what I understand, the fruit has been bred since the 40's by the
Russians because of the very high Vitamin C content, which people lacked in their diet, especially in winter. It also has some other interesting health benefits and is currently being looked at for skin creams and the like.

Take care,

Dean Kreutzer
Over the Hill Orchards
www.overthehillorchards.ca