nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Quince

  • From: "Lon J. Rombough" <lonrom@hevanet.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Quince
  • Date: Sat, 29 Oct 2005 11:11:51 -0700

Makes me wonder if you have Cydonia quinces or one of the Chaenomeles quinces, such as Chaenomeles cathayensis. I haven't heard of many people as far south as Shreveport, LA being able to grow Cydonia quinces, but Chaenomeles cathayensis will grow in the south. I've got some started from seed collected in South Carolina. It's a large shrub with very wicked thorns and flowers that are usually pink or red on the outside and white or cream on the inside. The aroma of the fruits varies. The fruits are big as softballs, though, and really hard. They are quite acid and cook up into a very tart sauce.
-Lon Rombough