nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pyrus Betulaefolia

  • From: natelson@stehlinclinic.com
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pyrus Betulaefolia
  • Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 05:51:39 -0500 (CDT)

I can't comment about P. Betulaefolia in colder climates but here in
Houston it produces a bigger tree than P. Calleryana and also has more
suckering than the latter. It is alleged to not be as precocious as P.
Calleryana but is more cold tolerant with particular strains, as Lon
comments. The repository at Corvallis has a P. Calleryana X P.
Betulaefolia cross. I have fruited it (actually, it is very ornamental)
and used the seeds to generate rootstock which does not appear to sucker.
Perhaps this is the best of both worlds.