nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Crandall/clove currant

  • From: "Hal Love" <lovehd@comcast.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Crandall/clove currant
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 15:54:25 -0600

This sounds very similar to the Ribes odoratum I discovered growing near our
pond. The abundant flowers are extremely fragrant, in fact, I smelled them
from several hundred feet away while mowing the yard before I knew they were
there. I do not know the origin of these plants, as they came with the
property. They only produced 3 small berries last year, but they were really
tasty. They are in shade, so I don't know if the sparse fruit is due to that
or lack of another pollinator or just a bad selection. I moved one into full
sun and I plan to get a "real" Crandall this spring for comparison. Mine
also dropped most of the leaves by late summer, but never really appeared
unhealthy.

Hal Love
zn 6 TN