nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Crandall/clove currant

  • From: tanis grif <tanisgrif@yahoo.com>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Crandall/clove currant
  • Date: Mon, 24 Jan 2005 16:02:36 -0800 (PST)

My input re Ribes aureum/odoratum. I have an
early-flowering highly perfumed version. In my
lifetime it has produced maybe 3 berries. (Either it
needs cross-pollinization, or the long tubular flowers
can't be pollinated by local bees.) It grows about 6
feet tall, not counting the tendancy of the longer
stems to arch & droop. It spreads by root suckers
which seek sunlight at edge of canopy of mother plant;
I have NOT noticed it spreading by layering tips of
branches. It is a grand and vigorous shrub, despite
its almost total leaf loss in late summer due to leaf
diseases. ID not known; I believe it was a landscape
shrub circa turn of last century.

I too tried Bear Creek's R.aureum, and removed it,
because the flower perfume was relatively pathetic
compared to the above.

I'd like to find something with the great
clove-perfume, but also with some fruits and less leaf
diseases.