nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Crandall/clove currant

  • From: "loneroc" <loneroc@mwt.net>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Crandall/clove currant
  • Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 07:05:52 -0600

Ribes odoratum is a native to the Great Plains from TX up into prairie
Canada. Horticultural (non-fruit growing) sources consistently say that R.
odoratum is MUCH more fragrant than R. aureum although R. aureum is fragrant
as well. The two can be distinguished by R. odoratum's longer calyx tube
according to one source. R. odoratum is an alternate host for blackstem
wheat rust. It is not clear whether R. aureum is susceptible. Sources also
indicate that R.aureum is a bit smaller approaching 6 feet in height/breadth
while R. odoratum reaches 6-8 feet in height and up to 10 feet in breadth.

I brought up the subject of Crandall because every one of my black currants
whether of Canadian or European origin croaked beginning two years ago.
After an open but not particularly cold winter most plants had a majority of
their canes fail to leaf out and the next year every single plant was dead.
During a Ribes thread earlier this year I was contacted off list by another
Ribes grower from Viroqua, Wisconsin about 45 minutes (and two zones) west
of here. He asked if I had a problem with currants dying and he described a
similar course of events---after many years of trouble free growth every
single plant of his died as well. I can only guess as to the problem since
I never really saw a symptom other than expiration. Perhaps there is a
local borer that finally found our plantings and feasted on the crowns til
they were gone.

Anyway, I thought that R. odoratum might be immune to the unknown pox. I
don't think there's much point in replanting European currants, as much as I
love them (I'll miss the preserves). I do have a potted Titania through the
kindness of another list member (thanks Sam). I'll plant that out and watch
it closely. I suspect that whatever the problem was has left the property
w/o any living host. Maybe I'll get a few good years in before the scourge
finds me again.

Steve Herje, Lone Rock, WI