nafex - RE: [NAFEX] Citrus from seed, and tangelolos

  • From: "Stephen Sadler" <Docshiva@Docshiva.org>
  • To: "'North American Fruit Explorers'" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: RE: [NAFEX] Citrus from seed, and tangelolos
  • Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 17:31:55 -0800

Lon, thanks!

From: nafex-bounces@lists.ibiblio.org [mailto:nafex-bounces@lists.ibiblio.org] On Behalf Of Lon Rombough
Sent: Sunday, December 26, 2004 3:38 PM
To: North American Fruit Explorers

As a general rule of thumb in growing citrus, if you get multiple seedlings from one seed and they are thornless, they are most likely apomictic, which means they developed from the maternal tissue and are identical to the parent. If there is one seedling and it has thorns, it is more likely to be from the union of sperm and egg and won't be identical to the parent. This is NOT an absolute, but it's a workable generalization.
-Lon Rombough