nafex - Re: [NAFEX] Pummelo

  • From: "philip sauber" <mrtejas@lycos.com>
  • To: "North American Fruit Explorers" <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] Pummelo
  • Date: Sun, 26 Dec 2004 08:47:10 -0600

Pummelo is one of the few citrus that do NOT come true from seed.

phil with 25 citrus trees in the ground near Houston, TX

Please forgive me for the following which will have a very limited audience. Also my experience with pummelo is limited. But here goes.

For several years now I've been receiving pummelo (Citrus maxima) from my friend Ron Lambert in central Florida. I've tasted pummelo from several different sources, but this one is wonderful. It is better than grapefruit as far as I'm concerned. It is pink, sweet with less acid than most grapefruit and a pleasure to eat. The sections are continuos across the length of the fruit, or at least both of these I processed yesterday were. It does have a lot of seeds which are easy to remove. The sections release the sells easily with a spoon.

According to my information C. maxima is less tolerant of cold temps than grapefruit.

Ron says the variety is Butan and one can tell when ready as the skin starts to turn a slight pink. He will make scion wood available. For those who like the excitement of watching a first tree grow from seed and see what the fruit of a new plant is like, I have collected seed. If anyone is interested in seed let me know as I've saved seed from these two fruits.

Ron doesn't have e/m so let me know if you want scion wood, please reimburse him for postage.

Jerry Lehman
7780 Persimmon St.
Terre Haute, IN 47802-4994