nafex - Re: [NAFEX] grow grapes on pines?

  • From: Hector Black <hblack1925@fastmail.fm>
  • To: North American Fruit Explorers <nafex@lists.ibiblio.org>
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] grow grapes on pines?
  • Date: Thu, 23 Dec 2004 12:14:22 -0600

Hello Everyone,
    I remember seeing grapes growing into trees in some orchards in Italy.  Partly I suppose the shortage of tillable land, but it was interesting.  Looked like pear and apple trees and the cordons were draped over the upper limbs of the fruit trees which were pruned not to be but about 10ft. or less  where the top branches came out and bend downward, so they had quite a bit of sun there in the middle of the tree.  Hector Black, zone 6 middle TN  Wishing Happy Holidays to all, and watch out for those Consultants!  (in sheeps clothing yet)