nafex - Re: [NAFEX] black currents (revisited)

  • From: Todd Ravitch <travitch@yahoo.com>
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] black currents (revisited)
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 10:39:01 -0700 (PDT)

Maybe I was going through this to quickly. I had a
weeks worth to go through. I thought I saw that
someone had Ben Lomond. Aren't the Ben series part of
the canadian breeding program and not 100% Ribes
Nigrum??? If this is the case this may be why it has
a bitter taste.

I actually have 3 black currant varieties that I
started from dormant cuttings that I ordered from
Corvallis. These are fairly older varieties and not
available from nurseries that I can locate. I have at
least three each or each variety. I will be more than
willing to send one variety of each plant out once
they go dormant which will be a few months here in
Oklahoma. I would prefer to send them to someone
close to me as that way maybe I can see them after a
good year or two in the ground. I will only ask for
postage costs. I have French Black, Noir de Borgnone,
and Royale de Naples.

I also have 3 gooseberry varieties going as well from
hard wood cuttings. I had no problem starting them at
all. Stuck em all in a half compost/half peat mix and
watered em regularly. I have the original English Red
Jacket, a gooseberry from Turmenistan (very strange
leaf shape and I suspect it is most likely not a pure
Ribes una-crispa variety), I also have a variety from
Hungary or Poland that I don't remember asking for
(need to look at the tag). This is all I have at the
moment. I am in the middle of a divorce and all the
Ribes I bought from Lucille and put in the ground last
fall have been subject to the gardening care of the
soon to be ex-wife. I will be happy if the next
owners have half of them still alive as she has the
brownest of thumbs except when it comes to weeds.

Todd