nafex - Re: [NAFEX] black currents (revisited)

  • From: Ribes60@aol.com
  • To: nafex@lists.ibiblio.org
  • Subject: Re: [NAFEX] black currents (revisited)
  • Date: Sun, 26 Sep 2004 08:34:35 EDT

I make black currant tea every year, it is very good (and good for you). I harvest the leaves in May when they are growing rapidly and tie them in small bunches, much like some tobacco is managed to air dry. I hang them in the barn until they are completely dry and brittle. Then they can be crumbled and stored in fruit jars in a cool dark place. The tea is made just as you would regular tea, by steeping, it can be sweetened with sugar or honey and flavored with some spice such as cinnamon or allspice. I got this recipe from a Russian scientist when I inquired about the medicinal value of black currant. This tea is very good either hot or iced, I served it at my open house gatherings for several years.

Ed Mashburn
Z 5/6 - Central PA